Saturday, August 12, 2017

Dog Days of Summer

 Hello everyone!  It's Kim from Katydid Cards!

I always refer to the hottest days of the year as "the dog days of summer."  

A little research, however, reveals that phrase is not about dogs at all.  Rather, it actually refers to the star "Sirius", also known as the dog star.  It's name is derived from the Greek word "seirios" which means scorching.  Sirius is found in the Canis Major (big dog) constellation and is most visible in our hemisphere during the summer months as the brightest star in the heavens.  So now you know!



But for the purpose of this post, let's just pretend it's all about dogs; as is my card...well, cards, as I have two to share with you today.

My first card features Eyelet Outlet's Dog Bone Quicklets and Pearl Bling Sheets.



When my l'il dog, Katy, dreams, she smiles.  I'm thinking this is what her dream looks like...she's a real food hound.


I cut the "dream" bubble in the front of the card for a peek-a-boo look at the Dog Bone Quicklets inside.  The pup is from Eureka Stamps and the chair is an Eat Cake Graphics image. Leading from the sleeping pup to the dream are three pearls....the Pearl Bling Sheets gave me the flexibility of using graduated sizes.  The dream BIG title ties everything together.



Inside, a continuation of the thought...and important words to live by.  And here are all the bones...I got as many as I could into that dream bubble. Because as the title says, if you're gonna dream, you might as well, "dream BIG".




My second card uses the Puppy Brads, Chalk Board Washi Tape,  and Swirl Bling-Clear and another Dog Bone Quicklet.





This little puppy in a huge dog bowl makes me smile and brings home the point that "attitude is everything".



I created a circle and filled it with digital patterned paper and matted on Basic Black where I also created my greeting using the text to path option on my Silhouette.  I offset that to create another made from Tangerine Tango.  The rectangle was filled with another patterned paper and matted on the same two colors.


I made the dog bowl by tracing around a clip art image I found on-line.  I wanted to make it w-a-y too big for the little puppy, just like his name...he'll grow into both.  I've had Great Danes in the past, so I know how fast that can happen!

I ran  a piece of the Chalk Board Washi Tape across the bottom.  For accent, I added a Dog Bone Quicklet to the center and paws from the Paw Washi Tape.  I attached the Paw washi to the same blue as the card base and punched out the paws with a small circle punch.



One final touch was to add jewels to the top of the circle and the center of the bone after coloring them black with a Copic marker.  I hand lettered the name on the dog bowl...that was the most difficult part of making this card.



Inside, a another simple but important message.  I color matched it to the patterned paper and printed it on Whisper White card stock.
 

I'm a real dog lover, so I had a lot of fun making dog themed cards to share with you today.  I hope you like them, too!  See you next week with something new!




Kim from Katydid Cards
Who provided the inspiration for these cards?  Katy did!

No comments:

Post a Comment